GEN – 1171.00. The European Commission has informed the stakeholders that the website related to the revision of the Methodology for Ecodesign of Energy-related Products (MEErP) has been launched. The revision process is expected to last until the end of 2021.
The revision was first addressed during a stakeholder meeting on 29 May 2019.
The initial outlines have now been defined in a set of tasks:
- Task 1: Update of the EcoReport tool – Maintaining freely available downloadable excel files
- Task 2: More systematic inclusion of material efficiency aspects and of environmental footprint/ecological profile aspects in the design options and in the LLCC curve
- Task 3: More systematic inclusion of societal life cycle costs
- Task 4: More refined evaluation of the economic impacts in task 7 with the aim that the data in Task 7 of Ecodesign preparatory and review studies become the reference data source for the evaluation of the economic and environmental impacts within an impact assessment reports.
- Task 5: Other updates and integrations, including how EU Ecolabel and EU GPP criteria could be developed at the same time as Ecodesign measures
The project team consists of 10 persons: one from DG GROW, five from JRC Seville and three from JRC Ispra. Of these that are known to Eurovent: Davide Polverini (DG GROW), Alejandro Villanueva and Olivier Wolf (JRC Seville) the latter two have contributed to the development toward the regulations for commercial refrigeration.
It can be expected that the updating of the EcoReport tool may result in different outcomes compared to the present tool because datasets will be updated.
First webinar 12 November, 10:00-12:30h
Registered stakeholders will have the possibility to attend the work meetings of the project and to provide comments to the draft documents produced. Registration allows to closely accompany the development of this process until its conclusion, which is expected by the end of 2021. In order to register, please fill in the form on https://susproc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/product-bureau//contact/register. One should select ‘MEErP revision’ under ‘select product group’.
In order to be further informed on the details of the process (such as the objectives, tasks, and work plan), you can attend a webinar that will take place on the 12 November 2020, 10:00-12:30h (CET). To join the webinar, one must register as stakeholder or mail to email@example.com asking to register for the webinar.
Members whose products are subject to present Ecodesign measures, possible inclusion in the 2020-2024 Working Plan or that are considering opting for a self-regulation measures are recommended to register to the project website.
Eurovent will accompany the revision with the support of its Product Groups.
Related documents and links
All related documents and articles can be found in the respective sections in the right sidebar.
- Link to MEErP project website: https://susproc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/product-bureau/product-groups/521/home
- GEN – 1159.01 – Inception Impact Assessment sustainable products initiative
- GEN – 1159.02 – JRC presentation circular economy in Ecodesign 2019-02-14
- GEN – 1034.00 – Notes 28 May 2019 stakeholder meeting on MEErP
- Link to the roadmap: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/have-your-say/initiatives/12567-Sustainable-Products-Initiative
- Link to the 2005 and 2011 MEErP can be found on the website of VKH under ‘reports- finished studies and articles’: https://www.vhk.nl/research/reports.htm