GEN – 1202.00. The review of Regulations for professional refrigeration equipment (e.g. storage cabinets, industrial chillers, remote condensing units) has started. The consortium to carry out the review has been appointed. The project website has been launched on 22 January 2021 and the first stakeholder meeting is set to take place soon, on 18 February 2021.
The contractor is a consortium led by VITO while the technical project lead is VHK, in collaboration with experts from Tait Consulting, Viegand Maagøe and the Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment and Energy.
Scope of the study
The scope has been defined in Article 8 of the regulation 2015/1095. In addition to accounting for technical evolutions, the review shall include the following:
- Professional refrigerated storage cabinets, an assessment of the appropriateness of introducing, in particular:
- Ecodesign requirements for cabinets listed in Article 1(1)
- Stricter requirements for heavy duty cabinets
- Information requirement on a professional refrigerated storage cabinet’s capacity to cool down foodstuffs
- Method for determining the standard annual energy consumption for refrigerator-freezers
- Revised method for the standard annual energy consumption of counter cabinets
- Blast cabinets, an assessment of the appropriateness of introducing Ecodesign requirements for these products
- Walk in cold rooms, an assessment of the appropriateness of introducing Ecodesign requirements for these products
- Condensing units and process chillers:
- Assessment of the appropriateness of setting Ecodesign requirements covering direct greenhouse gas emissions related to refrigerants
- Assessment of the appropriateness of setting Ecodesign requirements for condensing units with a rated cooling capacity lower than 0,1 kW at low temperature and 0,2 kW at medium temperature and condensing units with a rated cooling capacity higher than 20 kW at low temperature and 50 kW at medium temperature
- Assessment of the appropriateness of setting Ecodesign requirements for condensing units sold with an evaporator, compressor packs and racks which do not include a condenser, and condensing units which do not use air as heat transfer medium for the condenser
- Assessment of the appropriateness of setting Ecodesign requirements for process chillers using evaporative condensing and process chillers using absorption technology
- All products, a check if newer versions of quoted sources are available for GWP values
- All products, the value of the admitted tolerances in the verification procedure for the measured value of the energy consumption
The study is panned to be completed within 16 months, by May 2022.
The first stakeholder meeting (online) is announced for 18 February 2021. The second is planned for October 2021.
A Consultation Forum meeting would take place in March/April 2022.
The manufacturers that today already have to comply with the regulations, are strongly recommended to register on the project website where they can also register for the first stakeholder meeting on 18 February 2021.
Related documents and links
All related documents and articles can be found in the respective sections in the right sidebar.
- Project website: www.ecoprorefrigeration.eu