GEN – 1182.00. The recent meetings on the Circular Economy Action Plan (CEAP) and the Methodology of Ecodesign for Energy related Products (MEErP) address material efficiency. In response to the European Standardisation M/543, the joint CEN/CLC/TC 10 has developed a set of standards dealing with Material Efficiency Aspects for Ecodesign.
CEN-CLC webinar on 1 December 2020
The introduction by CEN-CLC to this webinar reads:
The transition towards a Circular Economy is widely considered as a necessary step to address the challenges related to the creation of a more sustainable economy. European Standards (ENs) are essential complementing tools that support the implementation of EU legislation, as well as the climate and energy targets, by promoting best practices, improving energy efficiency, safety and providing tools to optimize installations and systems.
In the past, standardization work related to energy efficiency mainly focused on the energy efficiency of products during their use phase. After the publication of the Circular Economy Action Plan in 2015, the European Commission requested the three European Standardization Organizations – CEN, CENELEC and ETSI – to develop standards on material efficiency that would establish future ecodesign requirements on, amongst others, durability, reparability and recyclability of products, thus introducing a new focus on material efficiency during the design phase.
CEN-CENELEC Joint Technical Committee 10 on Energy-related products – Material Efficiency Aspects for Ecodesign (CEN-CLC/JTC 10) developed a group of eight standards containing generic principles to consider when addressing the material efficiency of energy-related products, such as extending product lifetime, ability to reuse components or recycle materials from products at end-of-life, and use of reused components and/or recycled materials in products.
In this context, the aim of this webinar is to present how these standards could be used by product-specific Technical Committees when developing product-specific or product group standards addressing material efficiency aspects.
- Mr Simon Froggatt – Chair CEN-CLC/JTC 10
- Dr. Jens Giegerich – Convenor CEN-CLC/JTC 10 WG2 and WG5
Relevance to Eurovent
The aspects covered by the EN 4550X series are most likely to be integrated in the revised MEErP and, for that reason, it is important that manufacturers to take note of the standards that have recently been adopted:
- EN 45552:2020 General method for the assessment of the durability of energy-related products
- EN 45553:2020 The ability to remanufacture energy-related products
- EN 45554:2020 The ability to repair, reuse and upgrade energy-related products
- EN 45555:2020 The recyclability and recoverability of energy-related products
- EN 45556:2020 The proportion of reused components in energy-related products
- EN 45557:2020 The proportion of recycled material content in energy-related products
- EN 45558:2020 General method to declare the use of critical raw materials in energy-related products
- EN 45559:2020 Methods for providing information relating to material efficiency aspects of ERP
To be adopted soon is the technical report CLC TR 45550:2020 Definitions related to material efficiency.
While the target audience includes the usual Technical Body officers and experts, National Standardisation Bodies/National Committees the meeting is open to interested parties.
The members are recommended to register to this meeting on 01 December 2020, 10:00-11:00h. It will provide background and insight in the upcoming developments such as the revision of the MEErP and its application in the revision of the Ecodesign framework directive and future new and revised Ecodesign implementing regulations.
Related documents and links
All related documents and articles can be found in the respective sections in the right sidebar.
- GEN – 1181.00 – Circular Economy and update MEErP
- GEN – 1171.00 – Revision of the MEErP
- GEN – 1159.00 – Ecodesign and MEErP update
- GEN – 1034.00 – Review Ventilation Regulations and update MEErP
- MEErP circular economy aspects 29 May 2019 stakeholder workshop: https://ec.europa.eu/docsroom/documents/35801
- MEErP project website: https://susproc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/product-bureau/product-groups/521/home
- Roadmap: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/have-your-say/initiatives/12567-Sustainable-Products-Initiative
- 2005 and 2011 MEErP can be found on the website of VKH under ‘reports- finished studies and articles’: https://www.vhk.nl/research/reports.htm
- CEN-CLC JTC 10 Energy-related products – Material Efficiency Aspects for Ecodesign: https://standards.cen.eu/dyn/www/f?p=204:7:0::::FSP_ORG_ID:2240017&cs=146F3F0C3434E2342477B7A2945D5E308