GEN – 1059.00. On 1 October 2019, the European Commission has announced in a press release that it has adopted 10 Ecodesign implementing Regulations. The 10 measures include the revised electric motors and variable speed drives regulation, and the refrigeration appliances with a direct sales function implementing regulations. For the refrigerators with a direct sales function implementing regulations, the implementing measure regarding energy labelling has also been adopted.
Refrigerating appliances with a direct sales function
The development of the regulations for these products started in 2005. Taking 14 years it is the ecodesign measure that took the longest time to materialise. It is the measure that benefitted from the highest number of product data (2.600) that were made available by manufacturers members of the Eurovent PG-RDC.
The adopted text should be identical to the version adopted by the Expert Group of the Member States on 29 January 2019.
The energy labelling measure was adopted on 11 March 2019, and at present the available documents are still dated 11 March 2019.
The publication in the Official Journal of the EU is set for 5 December 2019.
- Entry into force: 1 March 2021
- First tier: EEI = 100 (for all equipment apart of Ice cream freezers) – 1 March 2021
- EEI first tier = 80 (for Ice cream freezers) – 1 March 2021
- EEI second tier = 80 (for all equipment apart of Ice cream freezers) – 1 September 2023
- EEI second tier = 50 (for Ice cream freezers) (1 September 2023)
Energy labelling Regulation
- Entry into force: 1 March 2021
- Ice cream freezers: Dedicated label (different to the one of all other equipment)
- Commercial beverage coolers: Dedicated label (different to the one of all other equipment)
The Energy Labels would be visible in the physical stores and on-line as of 1 March 2021. Of note is that the labels contain a QR code. The manufacturers should also enter the data into the European Product Register Energy Labelling. As explained by Oscar Miralles during the Product Group Commercial Refrigeration on 12 February, the development of the would start in September. The progress of EPREL for other product groups has encountered delays. As the deadline for commercial refrigeration is March 2021 there should be ample time to prepare for entering the data and the product group should benefit from the lessons learned for other products.
The adopted measures are enclosed in this document (GEN – 1059.01-07).
Electric motors and variable speed drives
- Entry into force: 1 July 2021
- The Regulation (EC) No 640/2009 is repealed as from 1 July 2021.
- The date when article 7 related to circumvention enters into force is not yet specified, at latest it would be 1 July 2021.
- For circulators to be integrated in products and placed on the market no later than 1 January 2022 as replacement for identical circulators integrated in products placed on the market no later than 1 August 2015, the information requirements of the replacement circulator and its packaging shall clearly indicate the product(s) for which it is intended. This is expected to enter into force 20 days after publication.
The publication in the Official Journal of the EU is set for 25 October 2019.
The adopted measures are enclosed with this document. (GEN – 1059.08-12).
Energy labelling Regulation
There is no Energy Labelling Regulation for electric motors and variable speed drives.
Note on the progress of the revision of the Fan Regulation
DG Energy has submitted a revised Impact Assessment to the Regulatory Scrutiny Board (addressing the issue of large fans and cascading) in June 2019. By 2 October 2019, the Regulatory Scrutiny Board has not yet issued an opinion.
As a result, the development of the Working Document (that would contain some new elements) has been slowed down. The Working Document would then be submitted it to the Inter Services Consultation (that will take at least 2 weeks) and then the 4-week feedback mechanism period where industry still can influence the Working Document.
Because of the above elements, it could be doubtful if this file would be reactivated during 2019.
The relevant product groups are recommended to study the adopted text. Where appropriate it may prove useful to consider the drafting of FAQ and guidelines that could be used in discussion with the European Commission.
For commercial refrigeration this is already under way within the Product Group. For electric motors and variable speed drives it may prove useful to address this in the Product Groups
Related documents and links
All related documents and articles can be found in the respective sections in the right sidebar.
- GEN – 1059.01 – Ecodesign Regulation Commercial Refrigeration, 2019-10-01
- GEN – 1059.02 – Ecodesign Regulation Commercial Refrigeration Annexes 1-5, 2019-10-01
- GEN – 1059.03 – Summary Impact Assessment Commercial Refrigeration, 2019-10-01
- GEN – 1059.04 – Impact Assessment Commercial Refrigeration, 2019-10-01
- GEN – 1059.05 – Opinion Regulatory Scrutiny Board, 2015-07-17
- GEN – 1059.06 – Energy Labelling Regulation Commercial Refrigeration, 2019-03-11
- GEN – 1059.07 – Energy Labelling Regulation Commercial Refrigeration Annexes 1-9
- GEN – 1059.08 – Ecodesign Regulation Electric Motors and VSD, 2019-10-01
- GEN – 1059.09 – Ecodesign Regulation Electric Motors and VSD 1-4, 2019-10-01
- GEN – 1059.10 – Summary Impact Assessment Electric Motors and, 2019-10-01
- GEN – 1059.11 – Impact Assessment Electric Motors and VSD, 2019-10-01
- GEN – 1059.12 – Opinion Regulatory Scrutiny Board Electric Motors and VSD Opinion, 2017-10-27
- The translation of the ecodesign measure for commercial refrigeration can be downloaded from: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/initiatives/ares-2018-6068769_en
- The translation of the ecodesign measure for electric motors can be downloaded from: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/initiatives/ares-2018-5354258_en
- Press release: https://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-19-5895_en.htm
- The new ecodesign measures explained: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_19_5889