GEN – 1100.00. On behalf of the European Commission (DG CLIMA), Oeko-Recherche is working on a series of analysis evaluating the implementation of the F-Gas Regulation (EU) No 517/2014 since 2015. This includes, among others, monitoring of the refrigerant prices. The Q4/2019 report has been recently shared with Eurovent.
Oeko-Recherche, on behalf of the European Commission (DG CLIMA), works on the monitoring of HFC prices. This is an ongoing activity started in 2016.
Background of the Q4/2019 report
In Q4/2019, 82 companies from eleven EU Member States (main respondents from France, Germany, Italy and Poland) and all supply chain levels (3 gas producers, 10 gas distributors, 26 OEMs, 37 service companies, 5 end-users and 2 other companies) reported purchase and/or selling prices for HFCs and lower GWP alternatives.
It is to be noted that companies do not report prices for all refrigerants but only for the ones relevant to them.
Findings of the Q4/2019 report
- Prices for R134a, R407C, R410A and R404A continued declining, but on average to a lesser extent than in previous quarters. There was demand, albeit at low level compared 2017.
- Prices at OEM and service company level were still 4 to 6 times higher than before the start of the price increase in 2017. Prices might be stabilised by companies locked into longer-term contracts. Selling prices of service companies also further decreased and reached a comparable price level to that in Q3/Q4 2017.
- Prices of lower GWP alternatives have remained either stable or further decreased.
- Four companies reported limited availability of refrigerants, especially for those with high GWP, while 62 companies did not (the remaining companies did not respond to that question).
- Prices of reclaimed refrigerants reported by gas distributors show that they may be as high as twice the price of virgin gases, due to the limited quantities available. Most common reclaimed gas is R404A, followed by R134a.
Manufacturers using refrigerants may find it useful to check the report as it provides additional information. Some may even find it useful to participate in the price monitoring activities.
Related documents and links
All related documents and articles can be found in the respective sections in the right sidebar.
- GEN – 1100.01 – Oeko-Recherche Excerpt Price monitoring Q4/2019
- GEN – 1083.00 – Development of HFC prices Q3-2019
- GEN – 1064.00 – Development of HFC prices Q2-2019
- GEN – 1057.00 – Price evolutions refrigerants and French carbon tax
- GEN – 1043.00 – Development of HFC prices
- GEN – 969.00 – F-Gas industry roundtable
- GEN – 958.00 – F-Gas recent publications
- GEN – 896.00 – Oeko-Recherche – Monitoring survey on refrigerant prices
- GEN – 890.00 – F-Gas Regulation Consultation Forum 6 March 2018