GEN – 1043.00. On behalf of the European Commission (DG CLIMA), Öko-Recherche is working on a series of analysis evaluating the implementation of the F-gas Regulation (EU) No 517/2014 since 2015. This includes, among others, monitoring of the refrigerant prices. The Q1/2019 report has been recently shared with Eurovent.
Öko-Recherche, on behalf of the European Commission (DG CLIMA), works on the monitoring of HFC prices. This is an ongoing activity started 2016.
Background of the Q1/2019 report
The price data on refrigerants are obtained 69 companies from eleven EU Member States (main respondents from France, Germany, Italy and Spain) and all supply chain levels (three gas producers, six gas distributors, 26 OEMs, 34 service companies) and one association of service companies reported purchase and/or selling prices for HFCs and alternatives.
It is to be noted that companies do not report prices for all refrigerants but only for the ones relevant to them.
Findings of the Q1/2019 report
- Due to some companies, demand was even lower than in the previous quarter and prices further decreased. However, prices continue to be several times higher than before the start of the phase-down measure.
- For R404A, R410A and R134a price declines were reported at all supply chain levels, with the exception of selling prices of service companies which increased slightly. For the latter, it needs to be noted that selling price increases can be derived from data reported by French service companies, while service companies from Italy, Germany and Spain indicated a decrease in selling prices.
- With regard to lower GWP alternatives, purchase prices slightly dropped at gas distributor and OEM level. Service companies also reported purchase price decreases for most alternatives (except for alternatives with high GWP such as R407A and R452A).
- Prices for quota authorisations were said to have significantly fallen due to low demand and price indications received by two companies ranged from 10 to 20 EUR/t CO2e.
Manufacturers using refrigerants may find it useful to check the report as it provides additional information. Some may even find it useful to participate in the price monitoring activities.
Related documents and links
All related documents and articles can be found in the respective sections in the right sidebar.
- GEN – 1043.01 – Öko-Recherche Excerpt Price monitoring Q1_2019
- GEN – 1020.00 – F-Gas roundtable
- GEN – 1020.01 – F-Gas roundtable 209-04-15 presentations (slides 5 to 17 deal with the F-gas prices)
- GEN – 969.00 – F-Gas industry roundtable
- GEN – 958.00 – F-Gas recent publications
- GEN – 896.00 – Öko-Recherche – Monitoring survey on refrigerant prices
- GEN – 890.00 – F-Gas Regulation Consultation Forum 6 March 2018