GEN – 1148.00. The UK Department for International Trade has issued anew a message regarding the new UK import tariffs and trading rules, which will take effect in January 2021. The new UK Global Tariff will replace the EU’s Common External Tariff. These tariffs will be applied if there is no free trade agreement between the UK and the EU by 31 December.
UK continuous information flow regarding Brexit
In addition to the information updates by the UK Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), the UK Department for International Trade is now also issuing and updating information regarding Brexit. The latest update relates to the UK Global Tariff.
UK Global Tariff (UKGT)
The UKGT is the UK’s independent ‘Most Favoured Nation’ tariff. It is a schedule of taxes to be paid on goods imported into the UK from January 2021. The UKGT will replace the EU’s Common External Tariff.
What one should do according to the UK Department for International Trade:
- Learn more about the UK Global Tariff
- Plan ahead by looking up the tariffs that need to be paid using the tariff lookup tool
- For goods imported from the EU, learn more about the import process and border controls with the EU from January 2021
- Visit GOV.UK/transition for more information about what is needed to prepare for the changes coming into effect from January 2021
One can also find information and advice about trading internationally (outside the EU) at great.gov.uk.
EU readiness notices
Since 8 June 2020, the European Commission has complemented the 36 readiness notices with additional ones and is now numbering 75 notices.
These notices can be downloaded via: https://ec.europa.eu/info/european-union-and-united-kingdom-forging-new-partnership/future-partnership/getting-ready-end-transition-period_en
The following documents, in addition to those referred to in GEN – 1118.00 may prove useful:
- Getting ready for changes – Communication on readiness at the end of the transition period between the European Union and the UK (9 July)
- Company law (3 July)
- Customs incl. preferential origin rules (14 July)
- Data protection (6 July)
- Eco-management and audit scheme (EMAS) (14 July)
- Energy – Guarantees of origin and certification of installers (23 July)
- EU Ecolabel (26 June)
- Export/import of hazardous chemicals (‘prior informed consent’) (17 July)
- Fluorinated greenhouse gases (13 July)
- Good laboratory practice (GLP) (19 June)
- Insurance/re-insurance (13 July)
- Statutory audits (13 July)
- Trademarks and designs (18 June)
Manufacturers exporting from or importing into the UK are advised to regularly check the evolving messages on the UK Departments’ websites.
The main UK reference website remains GOV.UK/transition but different UK Departments are now starting issuing information notes that should be in line with this website.
It is also recommended to check the EU readiness notices.
Related documents and links
All related documents and articles can be found in the respective sections in the right sidebar.
Ecodesign Energy Labelling
- GEN – 1146.01 – UK BEIS stakeholder meeting 2020-07-22 slides
- Energy Technology Criteria List: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eligibility-criteria-for-technologies-that-qualify-for-the-energy-saving-enhanced-capital-allowance-scheme
- Consultation on ETL until 7 August (in 2 parts): https://beisgovuk.citizenspace.com/energy-efficiency/etl/
- Call for evidence until 4 September: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/904722/energy-related-products-call-for-evidence.pdf
New UK campaign
- New UK campaign: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/major-new-campaign-to-prepare-uk-for-end-of-the-transition-period
- Importing from EU into UK: https://www.gov.uk/prepare-to-import-to-great-britain-from-january-2021
- Exporting from UK to EU: https://www.gov.uk/prepare-to-export-from-great-britain-from-january-2021
Brexit readiness – previous updates
- GEN – 1146.00 – Brexit – Ecodesign and Energy Labelling
- GEN – 1140.00 – Commission communication on readiness at the end of the transition period
- GEN – 1124.00 – Brexit transition period to end on 31 December 2020
- GEN – 1118.00 – Brexit readiness notices
- GEN – 1097.00 – Brexit