GEN – 1151.00. Eurostat, the statistical office for the EU, produces European statistics in partnership with National Statistical Institutes and other national authorities in the EU Member States. Recently, statistics accounting for impact of the COVID-19 outbreak have been added.
Eurostat COVID-19 section
In addition to the whole sets of data, Eurostat has created a section with a wide range of statistics and data published by Eurostat related to COVID-19. The resources give a baseline against which the impact of the crisis can be measured, provide for wider background and help to see the evolution of the crisis.
By now, there have been about 200 Press Releases covering topics from economy to tourism.
For four sectors (retail, industrial production, construction and services), short-term statistics have been created.
COVID-19 impact on industry
While it is difficult to assess the exact content of some of the tables, the short-term tables February to June 2020 show the overall growth rates for EU 27 (thus without UK):
- Electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply: -3%
- Machinery and equipment: -11 %
- Repair and installation of machinery: -14 %
- Fabrication of metal products: -15 %
The Eurostat website allows to go into the detail of different sectors and countries.
Members looking for specific statistics and details are recommended to take some time to browse the Eurostat website. For information, the link to cooling and heating degrees by country is included.
Related documents and links
All related documents and articles can be found in the respective sections in the right sidebar.
- COVID-19: Growth rates February-June 2020 by sector: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=File:EU-27,_growth_rates_for_different_industries_-_June_compared_with_February_2020_(%25).png
- Short-term statistics retail, industrial production, construction and services: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Impact_of_Covid-19_crisis_on_short-term_statistics
- Eurostat new releases: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/news/news-releases
- Heating and cooling degree days by country: https://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=nrg_chdd_a&lang=en
- Eurostat access to all databases: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/data/database