GEN – 1120.00. On behalf of the European Commission (DG CLIMA), Öko-Recherche is working on a series of analysis evaluating the implementation of the F-Gas Regulation (EU) No 517/2014 since 2015. This includes, among others, monitoring of the refrigerant prices. The Q1/2020 report has been recently shared with Eurovent.
Öko-Recherche, on behalf of the European Commission (DG CLIMA), works on the monitoring of HFC prices. This is an ongoing activity started in 2016.
Background of the Q1/2020 report
The price data on refrigerants are obtained from 72 companies from eleven EU Member States (main respondents from France, Germany, Italy and Poland) and all supply chain levels (3 gas producers, 10 gas distributors, 25 OEMs, 31 service companies, 1 end-user and 2 other companies) reported purchase and/or selling prices for HFCs and lower GWP alternatives.
It is to be noted that companies do not report prices for all refrigerants but only for the ones relevant to them.
Findings of the Q1/2020 report
- Prices for R134a, R407C, R410A and R404A remained at a level comparable to the end of 2019.
- Despite the global lockdown measures due to COVID-19, there were, so far, no problems with refrigerant supplies from China. Within the EU there were only some delays in deliveries.
- Prices of most of the lower GWP alternatives have remained stable, while the price of HFO refrigerant R1234yf decreased for the first time.
- Due to the service ban of virgin HFCs with a GWP of 2500 and more for large refrigeration systems that became effective as of 1 January 2020, the number of companies (in particular service companies) that reported prices for reclaimed high GWP refrigerants (R422D, R507, but mainly R404A) increased significantly. The reported average purchase price of reclaimed R404A was similar to virgin R404A (~ 35 EUR/kg).
- Five companies reported prices for quota authorisations that ranged from 1,25 to 9 EUR/t CO2e.
- It is expected that the impact of COVID-19 on both the EU refrigerant market and different RAC&HP sectors will only become more apparent in the second quarter.
Manufacturers using refrigerants may find it useful to check the report as it provides additional information. Some may even find it useful to participate in the price monitoring activities.
Related documents and links
All related documents and articles can be found in the respective sections in the right sidebar.
- GEN – 1120.01 – Öko-Recherche Excerpt Price monitoring Q1/2020
- GEN – 1083.00 – Development of HFC prices Q3-2019
- GEN – 1064.00 – Development of HFC prices Q2-2019
- GEN – 1057.00 – Price evolutions refrigerants and French carbon tax
- GEN – 1043.00 – Development of HFC prices
- GEN – 969.00 – F-Gas industry roundtable
- GEN – 958.00 – F-Gas recent publications
- GEN – 896.00 – Öko-Recherche – Monitoring survey on refrigerant prices
- GEN – 890.00 – F-Gas Regulation Consultation Forum 6 March 2018